“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” Jackie Robinson
My name is Mike Lipkin and I’m thrilled to be part of your ecosystem. You and I are connected in a profound way. Today, my words will influence your actions and your actions will influence my words. We are all influencers now. Success is reciprocal. Our mutual appreciation will potentiate each others’ success.
Potentiate. It’s the most potent verb in the English language. It literally means “to make powerful; to increase the effectiveness of; to actualize desired outcomes.”
The most desirable people are those that build a reputation for helping others win. They are the Potentiators. They activate ultimate success by helping people function at their best. They enable superior performance by contributing at a whole new level. Think of the people on your team that make you better, stronger, faster, smarter, happier. Think about how they elevate your game. Now think about how you elevate theirs? Are you a potentiator? Or not so much? Makes you think, doesn’t it?
Potentiators are not born, they make themselves. They are ordinary people that are driven to cause breakthrough results for other people. They’ve learnt that they are only as good as how good they can make the people around them. They want to make their gifts count. You can find them at every level. They’re the ones causing the success of everyone else.
We’re only as good as the Potentiators we purposefully place in our lives. Sometimes they cross our path serendipitously. It’s like catching lightning in a bottle. We experience their magic for a brief moment before they move on. Ultimate success comes from forming an enduring relationship with them. It isn’t easy. Potentiators are drawn to potential that is determined to realize itself. They sense the power within. They feel greatness that is on the verge of breaking out. You have to demonstrate it before they help you develop it.
It takes one to know one. Potentiators pursue other Potentiators. They play together. They empower each other. They are always the students and always the teachers. They are intentional and purposeful in their relationships. They keep the main thing the main thing. And the main thing is always to push the envelope on behalf of their community. No jerks, shirkers, sloths, takers, fakers, wimps, quitters, cynics, bullies, bigots, hermits or cruisers allowed.
Potentiators are an exclusive club that anyone can join. The price of entry isn’t education, income, or connections. It’s the desire to cause breakthrough outcomes by helping people function at their best. It’s as simple and as complicated as that. If you want it bad enough, you’ll find ways to make it happen. This message is one of them.
Until now, you may not even have been conscious of your desire to cause breakthrough outcomes by helping people function at their best. It may even sound like grandiosity or hyperbole to you. After all, in a world where excellence is the price of entry, it’s hard enough just being good enough. Now that it’s on your radar, it sounds obvious, doesn’t it? But everything is obvious once it’s been thought of.
I will show you that becoming a Potentiator doesn’t require more work. It requires the right work. It means focusing on the things that count so you can say no to the things that don’t. Potentiators are not derailed by distraction. They’re driven by the thrill of discovery. They are inspired to achieve unprecedented results with others. They don’t succeed at others’ expense. They succeed at others’ success.
I’ve combined over 60 years of scientific and motivational experience to bring you this message. I have partnered with the Chief Scientist for Environics Research, Dr Dave Jamieson, who has devoted the past 40 years to studying social values and personal effectiveness. I’ve invested 26 years in coaching over a million people in 72 countries. The result of our partnership is a once-in-a-generational opportunity for you to fully express your power while you have some serious fun. What could be more exciting than that?
Our book will be out soon, but here are The Ten Potentiator Practices to accelerate your path to ultimate success. Evaluate yourself on each practice and think about how you can truly walk the talk:
- Be Self-Savvy: Define your principles. Discern your impact. Play your role. Know what drives you. Know how you’re occurring to others. Know their expectations of you. Know thyself and thy relationship with others.
- Develop Situational Sensibility: Get out there. Know the trends. Connect the dots. Context is decisive. Whoever understands their environment best wins. So expand your footprint. Study the data until it tells the truth. Anticipate the future by getting there first. Become your peers’ scout. Discover the new world for yourself and other will want to join you.
- Make a Powerful Promise: Declare your purpose. Express your value proposition. Focus your execution. Know your personal mission. Know the unique benefit you give to others. Act accordingly. So my mission is to turn people into potentiators. My unique benefit is to excite people into remarkable action. I’m executing my promise through motivational messages like this one in any way I can. What are you doing?
- Become Sublimely Skilled: Practice for real. Become the authority. Make it a pleasure. Whatever your level, be the best at that level. Learn from every experience. Communicate your knowledge with conviction. Light others up with your joie de vivre.
- Build Robust Resilience: Interpret to win. Be prolific. Train like an athlete. We’re only as good as the stories that we tell ourselves. Make whatever happens meaningful. Do more things. Put the odds on your side. And train, train, train. Stamina is the rocket fuel of champions.
- Grow Courageous Creativity: Unleash your imagination. Experiment like Edison. Talk, listen, learn. Dare to dream then declare your dream. Turn it into reality by trying something new. Fail fast until you fly high. Get in front of people and give them great conversation. Enrich their perspective while you expand yours.
- Be Fanatically Faithworthy: Commit to your commitments. Come through in the crunch. Be the best you can be, every day. If you say it, do it. Make your word the one thing that others can always depend on. Become the go-to-person in a crisis. And, whatever happens, bring your A-Game every time. You can’t always be the best, but you can always be the best you can be that day.
- Create Close Connections: Give First. Open yourself up. Become an insider. Generosity pays big dividends. Show what you can give them and others will show you the money. Get up, close and personal. Become integral to others’ wellbeing. If you build their trust, they will pay it forward all the way back to you.
- Communicate Like a Champion: Say it like you mean it. Talk their language. Connect them to their purpose. How you say what you say is as important as what you say. Let your authenticity shine through but inject it with your passion. Be the reason why other people rediscover why they make a difference.
- Cause Bold Breakthroughs: Own it. Celebrate the struggle. Finish like a professional. It’s not about the title. It’s about your skin in the game. It’s about taking on the responsibility for everyone else’s success, no matter what. You can’t always win, but you can always play to win. It’s meant to be hard. The pain is the price you pay to be a potentiator. Close strong and the force will be with you.
This is Mike Lipkin and that’s all I’ve got. From this moment on, be The Potentiator. You’ll be blown away by what happens next. Stay tuned.